Friday, February 27, 2009

My Junior Year at Whitworth College many years ago was such a shining moment in my life that it created a standard that everything else is measured by. I was only one musician among dozens, one student among a thousand, yet every memory is about being treasured, celebrated, and cared for! And that culture hasn't changed!

Even yesterday, I went to the music building, intending to find a piano in the music department to play my Chopin and Gershwin and Bach. The elevator was confusing, so I asked a student nearby “Where would I find an available piano?” Another student got on the elevator and said “I’m going up anyway. I’ll help you find one.” And he did; then he came back moments later saying “The mini-grand is available, why don’t you play on it?” And he took me over to it.

This courtesy, this individual responsibility for each to care for the other is pervasive,-as I wander around new buildings, inevitably a student will ask “Is there something I can help you with?” as though they had no more urgent business than to ensure my comfort.

2 comments:

  1. Michal,
    What a grand place to have studied and now teach and write. You are quite a gal,
    Love to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michal,
    Shirley alerted me to your most recent post. What a caring place you have found yourself in and what good fortune that you were able to study there in the first place. Whitworth College sounds like a very neat place.
    With affection,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete